Also called response paper, this is an assignment that asks you to present your reaction to a piece of work. It can be any of the following: article, essay, book, film, or even your professor’s notes. You may be required to write the reaction paper in any one of various formats: It can be included in a review or an article critique but it is most commonly submitted as a single entity. It can be formal or informal, depending on the requirement or the work from which a reaction should be written. It must be understood that all reaction papers are analytical. The aim of a reaction paper is to provide a deep understanding about a topic after a thorough reading and examination of a source material.
First tip: Thorough reading and rereading
Like other analysis papers, a reaction paper requires you to dig deep into the content of the work, almost always beyond the literal content. You will be made to provide meaning to something that is not stated explicitly in the work. You may also be asked the purpose of the author. Reaction papers are commonly written in first person. While the paper will be focused on your own reaction, you can also include paraphrased content and excerpts from the examined work.
Second tip: Organization
If asked how to write a good reaction paper, you must understand that after reading comes organization. Now, this is a quite tricky thing to do because how you will write the reaction paper depends on the scope and limitations of the instructions. It is up to you whether you want to use a structured format or an informal one. That will again depend on the extent of the instructions. Whichever you choose, remember that your approach must contain a substantial consideration and analysis of the work.
Third tip: Style
In considering the keys how to write a reaction paper, style must be included. A reaction paper normally requires an emotional and expressive style of writing. You must write in a way that you can let your thoughts come up and be described by colorful words. But writing with style does not necessarily mean that the organization of the paper suffers because you must make clear your introduction, thesis, conclusion, body and supporting statements.
The writing part
- After reading and understanding, begin to freewrite. Freewriting means the writing down all your thoughts and reactions about the work without regard to the standard rules of writing. All thoughts must be written so you can formulate your reaction.
- Since you have formulated your reaction already, write your thesis statement.
- Choose and arrange all the particular reactions you want written.
- Decide on how you want to organize and format your paper. Essay format is the most commonly used format in writing a reaction paper.
- Proceed writing and organizing your reaction. Remember that this must include all your reactions to the work, arranged in your desired order.
- Write the introduction and the conclusion. After which, go over and through the finished reaction paper draft as many times and revise/improve as you wish.
Essay writing service for students
How do you write a reaction paper? You read first and reread and then try to understand. After you have understood, organize. Then decide on a style and after which, proceed writing. These reminders may seem hard to master but with plenty of practice, you can surely write an excellent reaction paper. Should you get stuck, you may ask for our assistance. Remember that a reaction paper is just one kind of essay, and there are many others that have different requirements. Our professional writers will know just what to do, and will be more than happy to help you keep up with your requirements. CustomEssayMeister has been around since 2006, dedicated to serving students like you - give us a call now!