A compare and contrast essay is basically what its name suggests. It is an essay that compares and contrasts two or more subjects. In a compare and contrast essay, the writer identifies the similarities (compare) and the differences (contrast). But more than just highlight these, the essay will also be better if it provides a main idea in the form of a thesis statement. For instance, if your essay is about two film adaptations of the same novel, your thesis may state that one film adaptation is better than the other film adaptation. After giving your thesis, you can then move on to identify the points that make one film better, what the two films share, and where they diverge.
While writing a compare and contrast essay may seem easy, choosing a topic may sometimes be difficult. Remember, not all subjects can be paired. Some subjects may be too similar that there is nothing that distinguishes one from the other hand. On the other hand, some subjects may be too different that they share nothing in common. In each case there is no point in writing about the subjects. You must also take into account the area of study you are writing the essay for, the length of the essay, and the academic level. To make things easier for you, we have come up with a list of 50 compare and contrast essay topics. These are listed below and are clustered by category.
- The similarities and differences between scientific medicine and alternative medicine.
- Medicine now and then: Modern medicine versus medieval medicine.
- Psychiatry and psychology: What are the similarities and differences?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of nuclear power and solar power?
- How are mammals and reptiles the same? How are they different?
- Describe the health benefits and adverse effects of coffee and tea.
- Bacteria and viruses: What’s the difference?
- The Arctic and Antarctica: Are they really that the same?
- Compare and contrast iOS and Android in terms of functionality and ease of use.
- Compare and contrast the universe of the Game of Thrones series and the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
- Mainstream cinema and art house cinema: How are they the same and how do they differ?
- Compare and contrast an animated film based on a fairy tale with its traditional source material. How did a modern take on an old fairy tale change the story?
- Two film adaptations of a novel: In what ways are they the same? In what ways do they differ?
- Aurora from Sleeping Beauty and Elsa from Frozen: In what ways do they adhere to and depart from the traditional depictions of the princess character?
History, Politics, and Social Studies
- The similarities and differences in the government systems and society of ancient China and ancient Rome.
- Democracy versus monarchy.
- Socialism and communism: How are they similar? How are they different?
- Capitalism versus communism.
- In what ways are robots better than humans at performing jobs? In what ways are humans better than robots?
- What were the advantages of the North during the Civil War? How about the South?
- Describe Thomas Hobbes, John Locke, and Jean Jacques-Rousseau individual views of the social contract.
- Compare and contrast the Spanish Empire and the British Empire in terms of their effect on their former colonies.
- World War I and World War II: What were the reasons behind both conflicts?
- What is the difference between civil law and criminal law?
- Compare and contrast the wedding beliefs, traditions, and practices of two different cultures.
Art and Music
- Compare and contrast modern music and classical music.
- The similarities and differences between film and theater.
- Operas and musicals: What’s the difference?
- Compare and contrast the treatment of the human body in the art of the Middle Ages and Renaissance art.
- Compare and contrast two architectural styles: Renaissance and Baroque.
- Poetry versus prose.
- Compare and contrast two characters from a novel.
- In what ways did Huckleberry Finn change throughout the course of the novel? In what ways did he remain the same?
- Analyze the themes of two poems.
- Compare and contrast two novels or two short stories from the late 19th century with regard to their treatment of women.
- Which is better: Getting home-schooled or attending a regular school?
- What are the benefits and disadvantages of making uniforms mandatory? How do these compare to not making uniforms mandatory?
- Creationist doctrines versus scientific explanations of the universe’s origins.
- How do the effects of comprehensive sex education and abstinence-only sex education differ?
- Compare and contrast the central doctrines of the three major Abrahamic religions: Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.
- Monotheism versus polytheism.
- Compare and contrast the nature of the gods in Greek mythology and Egyptian mythology.
- Compare and contrast two creation myths from two different civilizations.
- Taking care of pets: dogs versus cats.
- Compare and contrast two countries famous for their tourism.
- Superman versus Gohan: Who is the more interesting superhero?
- Compare and contrast two gaming consoles.
- Compare and contrast two famous individuals.
- Compare and contrast two martial arts.
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of taking public transportation and driving to work?
In choosing a topic, be sure to consider other factors such as the course, the academic level, and the length. If you remain uncertain, you can seek assistance from your professor and your school’s writing center. Additionally, CustomEssayMeister is a service that can provide you with assistance in writing an excellent essay. For your compare and contrast essay, or for any other writing project such as term papers and research papers, we are here to help.