Before anything else, it is essential to understand the very nature of a subject. To begin, social sciences is actually an interdisciplinary study, which encompasses various subjects like government and citizenship, along with economics. History falls into social studies as well, along with geography and other disciplines falling under the humanities. By studying social sciences, students are challenged to develop concepts, content, dispositions, and skills required in order to become well-informed and engaged citizens.
Considering its interdisciplinary nature, social sciences topics can usually fall under specific sub-fields. For your perusal, we have gathered a comprehensive list of the best social sciences topics, all of which have been sorted into respective categories. For a more holistic understanding, we have also provided a little guide on how to write an essay for social sciences.
Writing a Social Studies Essay
Accomplishing a social sciences essay means employing various writing strategies. The use of these writing strategies are crucial, too, as social studies is a discipline that requires critical thinking. Here are some tips and techniques to consider when writing a social sciences essay:
- Consider the three principal steps as you begin writing your social sciences essay. These includes the selection of a social sciences topic, planning and execution of the experiment on the topic chosen, and the results of the investigation.
- After studying the steps, keep in mind that you will need to gather evidence. This could come in the form of personal observations, interviews, social experiments, as well as questionnaires and surveys.
- Ensure that you keep your writing language clear and concise. Your social sciences paper must be formatted accordingly, meaning that each of your sections should be easily identifiable. There are many on how to format a paper, but keep in mind that the best one ensures your essay's overall success.
Best Social Studies Topics of 2020
To reiterate, social sciences encompasses multiple disciplines. Considering this fact, there seems to be an endless selection of social sciences topics, something of which adds to the burden of students. While there are a ton of topics to choose from, choosing the best still proves to be difficult. After all, how would you know which one will be the best fit for you? Luckily, we have already gathered and selected the best ones for you. Check out this social sciences topics list we have curated especially for you, all divided into categories:
Political Science Topics
Politics and the issues on race and gender are forerunners in the vast discipline of social studies. Many are intrigued by the mechanics of politics, along with many creative conspiracy theories. This makes writing about political science topics fun and interesting:
- The possibility of the media being biased
- Polls: how do they work?
- The workings of fact checking
- The issues on race and politics
- The woes of electoral college
- A comparison of political systems around the world
- The New World Order: Explains
- Conspiracy Theories
History may be an entire subject of its own, but you are wrong to assume that it falls outside the branches of social studies. Each era written in history have been built by human interactions and relations. As such, it is only fitting that we include this category here. If you are a lover of history, then these social sciences topics are for you:
- Diets and nutrition during WWII
- A day in the life of a civil war solider
- WWII and its impacts on women
- Race and confederate symbols in small towns
- Top inventions that redefined education
- Birth rates and the importance of midwives
- Architectural patterns after WWI
- The Nineteenth Century: Rise of Vanity
- The truth behind the Vietnam War
- War and country doctors
- Presidential visits: what are they for?
- The invention of silverware
- Mining in history and its effects
- The discovery of germs and bacteria and its effects on the family household
Sociology, of course, falls under the social sciences. As another vast field, sociology can cover topics from marriage customs, same-sex marriage, along with specific ethics, such as the process of adopting children from poor countries. There are plenty of topics here that spark debates and passions – if that interests you, then read on:
- Federal v. State Power
- The regulation of food
- The availability of opportunities for minority groups
- Good and bad role models throughout history
- The unending clash between religion and politics
- Construction in flood zones
- Marriage customs around the world
- Same-Sex Marriage: why it should be made legal
- Adopting children from poverty
- Population Control: Is it ethical?
- Issues on education: Private or Government?
- The unending war against racism
- Regional Customs in America
- Misinformation in the Internet Age: How does it affect our perception of truth?
Economics is another social science, which is mainly concerned with the analysis and description of production, consumption, and distribution of goods and services. If you are an avid fan of how these processes affect the environment both locally and nationally, then consider the social sciences topics below:
- An issue on attractiveness: do pretty people earn more?
- Political parties and job growth
- The good and bad impacts of globalization
- A discussion of international treaties
- The World and IMF: how does it work?
- International trade agreements and trade protectionism
- Mexican corn producers and NAFTA’s influence
- The transition from fossil fuels to alternative energy: how do we manage?
- The age of low-cost airlines and tourism evolution
- Is relative economic power a function of human race?
- The possibility of resource depletion
- Multinational corporation taxation
- The discussion of worldwide corruption
- Global warming and its effects on the global economy
- National debt and Third World Countries
Linguistic Social sciences Topics
Language is an essential part of our human existence, as it serves as the main ingredient for many social interactions. If you are interested to know more about language, here are the best topics for you:
- Ultra-conserved words (mother) and our common linguistic ancestry
- Linguistics, human migration, and cultural interaction
- Indo-European languages and common origins
- The similarities on grammar rules across European languages
- Core vocabularies and human societies
- English as the global language: impacts and issues
- Slang terms from digitalization “email”, “smartphone”, “hobby” and effects on globalization
- Why the erasure of linguistic identity in indigenous communities is harmful
- Differences Between American Style and British Style: Origins
Psychology is the study of the mind and behavior, which specifically pertains to our thought processes and how human beings relate to each other. This makes it a prime plethora of topics for your social sciences essay writing. Here are some topics you can write about:
- The impacts of traffic in congested countries
- Apple, iPhones, and our attention spans
- Surviving on garden food in the contemporary world
- The use of local currencies in foreign countries
- Clothing and how it affects a teenager’s self-perception
- The voting habits of senior citizens
- The division between liberal and conservative
- The impact of political messages from religious figures
- How social media affects education
- Technology and fitness: teenage edition
- Advertisement and self-image
- Family traditions and superstitions
- The birth of unusual names
- Home punishment and its effects on school performance
- The process of making a friendship
- Compare and contrast: girl sports team vs boy sports team
- Snow days and family time
- Lunchroom setting and mainstream media
- The effects of bullying
- Taking care of your mental health
- Consumption of movie violence: does it affect behavior?
- The effects of Facebook on communication
- Would you change anything about your body?
- The culture of procrastination and its roots on technology
- The reasons why children lie to their parents
- Projection and clothing: Am I judged based on what I wear?
- Social class and a child’s self-esteem
- The traps of a cult: how vulnerable are you?
- Cults, cult leaders, and how it all works
Perhaps another back bone of social sciences is the study of gender. The world today is seeing a rise in the eradication of the divisive nature of gender. Here are some good topics to consider as you write your social sciences essay:
- The matriarchal structure on society and ethnic groups
- The possible fall of the patriarchy and its effects
- Mass-media as a powerful tool for championing gender equality in patriarchal societies
- Women and the workplace: our rights as women
- The evolution of family roles
- Gender and stress resiliency in the work place
- Similarities and differences between male and female
- Suicide attempts worldwide according to gender
- Gender and happiness definitions
Essay writing service for college students
Writing about social sciences topics is no easy task. The intricate nature of the discipline itself is challenging enough, and with a heavy workload haunting you, stress will surely take over. Perhaps it is time to seek the services of professional writers, such as CustomEssayMeister’s. We have been on the market since 2006, dedicated to serving students in need. Our professional writers are more than qualified to take on your social sciences essay, and they would be more than willing to write it for you! Along with writing essays, we also offer thesis writing, dissertations, and even research papers. Don’t hesitate to contact us if you are interested!