All postgraduate courses require candidates to conduct their own research, and this is in the form of a dissertation. An excellent PhD dissertation must demonstrate a student's knowledge on the subject he has devoted ten years of his life studying. It requires rigorous research and a lot of time and attention, a step-by-step approach that cannot afford any errors, and meticulous writing. The foundation of any successful dissertation is its subject. A lot of post-graduate students spend months or even years just coming up with a dissertation topic.
What Is A Good Dissertation Topic?
Among the most common expectations in dissertations is that they contribute something valuable in their field. A good dissertation topic will help build a strong dissertation that will impress hiring committees and publications. Technically speaking, students can write about anything they want within their field of study. However, limitations arise when we take into account previous research studies and standards set by universities. Here are the characteristics of a good Master’s and PhD dissertation topics:
The subject you choose should present something fresh for the academy. This does not mean that you need to establish a whole new theory or something similar, rather it means presenting a fresh perspective, modifying or extending existing theories or methods. The dissertation should be able to present something new and valuable to the field about a subject that may already exist.
Relevant To The Field
A good dissertation topic is one that is of interest to the academe and other researchers in the field. Obscure topics that researchers do not have use for will not be read, and therefore less likely to get published. Your topic should be becoming more popular in your field. When looking for possible thesis topics, look for gaps or unsolved problems in current students. These would lead you to original and relevant subjects.
A good dissertation, first and foremost, must be original. It can be a follow-up study to an existing study which either proves or disapproves the latter. It can also be an extension of an existing study, or an entirely new area to which the researcher can open more doors for research.
Related To Your Previous Research
This characteristic applies better to PhD candidates who may have engaged in more serious research for their master’s degree. But master’s candidates who find their undergraduate thesis still relevant to their interests and career may also find this useful. Start looking for dissertation inspiration in your previous research. You may choose an adjacent topic or expand or elaborate on your undergraduate thesis or master’s thesis topic. This is a good way to build on your previous experience.
Interesting For You
You will not only be spending a few semesters researching and writing about your chosen subject, but you will ideally be working on it after your post-graduate studies. Thus, the general subject should be something you are interested in, something you find worthy of your time.
Ambitious But Doable
PhD candidates either choose a topic that is too ambitious that their dissertation ends up failing, or too simplistic that it seems like an undergraduate research paper. Your doctoral thesis should tackle a subject matter that is ambitious enough to contribute substantially to the current literature while also remaining reasonably doable such that you don’t risk failing.
Consider these characteristics of a good dissertation topic when you start looking for topics for your research. Take your time to look for inspiration for your topic, consult with your thesis advisor, to make sure that you do not end up regretting your topic choice. Ideally, you choose one that you enjoy working on and not just something you feel like you need to do.
Why Is It Important To Have A Good Dissertation Topic?
A strong PhD dissertation topic from the start is not only important for the success of your study, but it will also help you win funding, as well as propel your career. Thus, it is not sufficient to receive a post-graduate diploma, but also to have written a good dissertation.
Well-chosen dissertation topics are the ones which the researchers are most passionate about. Also, it has to be determined as feasible by a set of panelists. Most importantly, it has to be manageable in consideration of the given time frame and resources.
As mentioned earlier, the topic is the foundation of a successful dissertation. It will make the research process much bearable by making the research interesting and manageable. A good subject strikes a balance between keeping your research feasible while also pushing you to your boundaries, keeping you engaged and motivated. That is, you should be able to produce a dissertation that is relevant and interesting enough for your contemporaries without taking on an overwhelmingly complex topic.
Having a good dissertation is, in a way, the factor that will make or break your dissertation.
If the chosen topic is uninteresting, it may drive you away from pursuing further research after your post-graduate studies; or, an overwhelming topic may cause you to stop in the middle or submit a subpar dissertation.
The dissertation topic is the core of your dissertation—this is why this dissertation writing process timeline devotes a long time to choose a topic alone. Don’t rush this process—choose carefully. To give you a better idea of what a good topic looks like, here are a few sample dissertation topics for 2020.
Sample PhD Dissertation Topics For 2020
What's great with studying is that the topics for research are endless. This is because one idea can branch into a few more ideas, and so on. Here are a few easy and feasible dissertation topics which you can try to write on.
Business Dissertation Topics
- An Investigation Into The Impact Of Offshore Outsourcing Of Customer Service On The Quality Of Customer Service
- An Assessment Of The Influences Of Regional Differences Between Countries In The Strategy Of Multinational Companies
- How Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Affects Customer Loyalty In The United Kingdom
- Assessing The Impact Of COVID-19 On Major Business Industries In The European Economic Area
- Survey Of The Effects Of Brexit On UK-based Companies’ Management Of EU Operational Sites
Business Management Dissertation Topics
- Leadership Lessons Learned In The Time Of COVID-19
- A Comparison Of Risk Management Strategies To COVID-19 Of Multinational Companies
- Influences Of A Diverse Management Team In Business Management
- Communication And Conflict Management In The Time Of COVID-19
- An Examination of New Businesses’ Dependence On Technology
International Business Paper Topics
- A Study Of The Issues And Difficulties Faced In Managing A Globally Diverse Workforce
- The Impact Of COVID-19 On Foreign Investment Patterns
- Twenty-First Century Localization Strategies: A Coca Cola Case Study
- The Role Of Closed-Loop Supply Chain In Improving The Sustainability Of Global Business Practices
- 2021 Challenges In Developing A Brand On The International Market
Finance Thesis Topics
- Influences of Cryptocurrency On The US Economy
- A Comprehensive Investigation Of Corporate Credit-Rating On The Banking-Sector
- The Role Of The International Monetary Fund In Enhancing Financial Development In The Global South
- An Empirical Investigation Of The Impact Of Foreign Direct Investment On Asian Economies
- Trends In Financial Decision-Making Of Family-Owned Businesses in The US
- The Impact Of Corporate Social Responsibility On Customer Loyalty
Accounting Thesis Topics
- A Comparative Study Of The Various Methods Of Financial Accounting
- The Issues, Challenges And Prospects Of Environmental Accounting Measurements
- Effective Bookkeeping Strategies Of Small- And Medium-Sized Businesses
- A Report On The Digital Development Of The Financial Business In The US
- A Review Of Management Accounting Innovations’ Contributions To Organisational Performance In Developing Countries
Marketing Dissertation Topics
- The Impact Of Negative Publicity On Consumer Behavior
- An Analysis Of The Effectiveness Of Discounts And Promotions As A Marketing Tool
- The Impact Of European Laws In Shaping Marketing Strategies
- On Consumer Boycotts: Lessons Learned From Nestle
- The Relationship Between Marketing Ethics And Corporate Social Responsibility
Law Dissertation Topics
- A Comprehensive Trade Unions Employment Legislation Analysis
- Assessing The Relationship Between Public Safety And Civil Liberties In International Laws
- International Human Rights Court Hearings: Evaluating The Importance Of Precedence
- Comparison Of US And UK Immigration Laws
- An Evaluation Of Consumer Protection In Post-Brexit UK
- Examining Gaps In Human Rights Law In The UK
Education Dissertation Topics
- Examining The Impact Of Online Education On The Social Aspect Of Learning
- A Study On Primary Education Teachers’ Preferred Behavior Management Strategies In The US
- A Qualitative Study On The Long-term Impact Of Racial Bias In The Classroom On The Lives Of Minority Students
- Challenges And Opportunities For Immigrant Children In The US
- A Study Of The Influences Of Gamified Learning On The Learning Styles Of Homeschooled Children
Interesting Humanities Dissertation Topics
- Anti-Vaccination Movement: Challenges And Opportunities
- A Historical Perspective On Sexual Orientation And Gender Identity
- An Analysis Of The Impact Of Affirmative Action On Removing Racial Bias
- The Socio-Economic Impact Of Illegal Immigration On Countries
- The Psychology Of Fandoms
Public Administration Dissertation Topics
- The Effectiveness Of Community Policing As A Strategy To Prevent Crime
- Using Big Data For Public Administration And Increasing Its Effectiveness
- Municipal Governments’ Role In Building An Accessible City
- The Effectiveness In Community-based Development Organizations
- A Census Of Red Tape Dilemma In Public Administration Across The States
Nursing Dissertation Topics
- The Role Of Un-Employment As A Factor In Aggravating Mental-Health Problems
- Examining The Role Of Leadership And Ethics In Evidence-based Learning
- A Study On The Influence Of Nurse’s Behavior Influence On The Speed Of Recovery Of The Patient
- Adapting Mental Health Counselling Strategies In Asian Cultures
- Interventions To Improve Communication Between Nurse And Doctors
Get Dissertation Proposal Help
Choosing a subject for your PhD thesis is part of the process of writing the dissertation proposal. This is a tricky step and would be better with the guidance of an expert dissertation writer. With a keen eye and years of experience, our expert writers can help you wade through a wide range of available topics. These writers are aware of the discussions in current literature in their respective fields, as well as the most pressing topics fitting for a PhD dissertation.
Choose The Right PhD Dissertation Topic
Choosing your PhD dissertation topic is the first and most crucial part of the dissertation writing process. It is not easy to learn how to come up with a dissertation topic, but you can get inspiration from these most current dissertation title examples tackling the most contemporary topics and issues in business, finance, accounting, marketing, law, education, humanities, public administration, and nursing. Hopefully, these dissertation topic examples will awaken your writing spirit. Contact CustomEssayMeister now for dissertation writing help.