Choosing A Topic For Argumentative Essay
Choosing a topic can take time and can be very tricky. The success of your topic depends on the type of essay you are writing. Plus, with the wide range of information available nowadays, simply choosing a topic requires research and extensive analysis. A successful argumentative essay starts with a compelling topic. Here are some things to consider when choosing a topic for an argumentative essay to guide you.
Characteristics of a good argumentative essay topic
- Debatable . For there to be an argument, the topic you choose must be on a controversial issue to some degree. That means that the topic must be something people discuss and may disagree about. This does not mean that the topic must always be political—in fact, it can be about almost anything, as long as it can prompt your readers to think. The most obvious indication that your topic is debatable is if you can identify at least two opposing sides to the issue. Keep in mind, however, that some topics are more nuanced than others, and thus have multiple sides. For example, the topic “ smoking is bad for your health” would not be a great argumentative essay topic, but “smoking should be banned in public places” or “ smoking should be banned only in certain public places” are good ones.
- Current . Consider topics that are relevant to the present time and in your locale. It would be unproductive to engage a topic that is not relevant to you and your readers or to argue an issue that has already been settled. A current issue would also be more likely to be a compelling argumentative essay topic, since it is close to the heart of your readers. More people would be interested to hear what you have to say about the topic since they, too, are passionate about it. In addition, researching this topic would be much easier since you are likely to find credible sources from all over the Internet - how to find credible sources is another lesson you will need to learn.
- Manageable. When writing an argumentative essay , you need to present at least three arguments to support your stand. It follows then, that your topic should not be too specific such that there is only one aspect to debate about. You should be able to present at least 3 arguments, as well as concrete evidence.
- Interesting. Your topic should be able to keep your readers interested . Writing an argumentative essay requires a lot of effort in researching, analysis, and writing, so your topic should be something you would be willing to bury yourself into. Writing about something you care about is arguably the most important ingredient to producing a compelling argumentative essay . Your passion is guaranteed to show in your writing.
Finding the topic
- List down subjects or areas that you find interesting. Then, you can narrow these down to the topics you would prefer to write about.
- Start the research process about the topics and list down potentially debatable issues. If you are familiar with any issues within the subjects, you can include that in the list as well.
- Look through the considerations we discussed earlier and pick the one that satisfies all of them.
Now that you know how to pick a great topic for your argumentative essay, you are one step closer to writing an A-grade essay.
Essay writing service for students
Even after thorough deliberation over what you can write about in your argumentative essay, it can still be very difficult to decide on one that you are completely confident with. If you are afraid that your professor will turn down your argumentative essay for being “too broad” or “insufficient,” do not worry—we at CustomEssayMeister are glad to help! As an academic writing service, we offer a wide array of services, from custom essays, custom term papers, to custom term papers, all written 100% original and to your liking and instructions by our roster of proficient writing experts who are knowledgeable in various fields of study. Need assistance in writing your argumentative essay? Consult us now for the essay help that you always needed!