The argumentative essay is one of the many types of essays. This type of essay aims to convince the reader to believe its author and to be on their side. It requires thorough research because you need to persuade your reader by presenting a logic and concrete evidence. As you have probably already guessed, this kind of essay is most common in the academic setting.
Why should you write an argumentative essay?
In today’s setting, people obtain solutions after making an informed decision. Most of the decisions such legal, customary, political or decisions concerning human rights are directed by various clauses in our constitutions. To establish the constitutions, various discussions accompanied by arguments were convened to enable the law makers and policy developers like members of parliament to explore an argumentative issue in terms of supporting ideas as well as opposing ideas. From the above background, the relevance of argumentative essay in a student life becomes evident. Precisely, argumentative essay is a vital writing skill that seems to define how best a student will be able to approach critical issues in life.
Why is writing an argumentative essay important?
The main goal of an argumentative essay is to convince or persuade the target audience, as well as help them understand the other side of an argument that supports a certain belief or idea. Knowing how to write an argumentative essay is a basic and fundamental skill of every college student: To further understand the workings of an argumentative essay, here are its components and characteristics:
- Logical and persuasive: An argumentative essay should aim at developing your skills in persuasion, helping you effectively argue against an issue in a logical manner. Moreover, your arguments should be understood by the audience involved. For instance, the issue at hand may be complex, but with your skills, it can be logically and concisely explained – this is critical to the potency of an argumentative essay.
- Critical thinking: The argumentative essay also enables a student develop critical thinking skills. It’s a skill not only essential in school, but life in general. This enables them to explore both weaknesses and strengths of an issue, as well as helps them explore alternative solutions and perspectives.
- Research skills: In the world of academics, research is a vital tool. An argument or idea can only be considered valid if backed up by research. As such, learning how to write an argumentative essay hones your research skills. Only a coherent analysis can help your formulate a sound argument.
- Evidence for claim: Again, your argumentative essay is only relevant if there are facts and evidences supporting it.
- Writing skills: While obvious, learning how to write an argumentative essay requires good writing skills. Its potency will rely mostly on the writer’s ability to convey messages, which is precisely why having such writing skills is essential. Should a writer still be on the stage of grasping such a skill, writing an argumentative essay is complex enough to help them learn.
The argumentative essay
As the name suggests, an argumentative essay has to have an argument to defend. The author of such an essay must have a firm stand on the chosen topic. He cannot just present facts and sides of the argument and then let the reader decide for himself. Although ultimately, the reader has the freedom to decide, the author’s goal is to steer the reader towards accepting his argument as true.
Parts of an argumentative essay
The argumentative essay follows the same structure of the basic essay: it has an introduction, body, and a conclusion. However, this type of essay has specific content in the body. The introduction is where you tell your readers your topic. More importantly, this is where you introduce your thesis statement.
In the argumentative essay, the introduction can extend to another paragraph, or even more, because you need to provide background to your reader. You should tell your readers about the different sides of the issue before presenting your own claims. The body is where you present your main arguments and evidence. This is where the actual persuasion happens. The body of your essay should have three claims and one counterclaim.
- The claims are the reasons or facts that support and promote your stand on the issue. Keep in mind, however, that this is not just your opinion. These should be based on facts and should be logical.
- The claims are usually followed by pieces of evidence or examples. This shows that your claims are realistic. These are meant to make your argument airtight.
- After presenting all your claims, present a counterclaim. This counterclaim should be carefully selected. Firstly, it should present a strong counterargument to your stand. Secondly, you should be able to counter it with any or all of your arguments. Lastly, the presentation of the counterclaim should further strengthen your argument.
- The last part of your essay, the conclusion, is where you repeat your thesis statement and arguments in brief. You may also mention additional takeaway ideas for your reader here.
The references are an equally crucial aspect of the argumentative essay. It is the backbone of your arguments since these are where you get your facts. So, in order to write a persuasive essay, your sources should be credible. As part of your resources evaluation, be wary of websites that propagate incorrect or biased information to promote their own views or agenda without regard for the truth. If possible, stick to primary sources such as books and peer-reviewed journals, mainstream news agencies, articles with reputable authors, and sites that end with .org, .edu, .gov.
Most importantly, don’t forget to cite your sources! Writing an argumentative essay may take up some time, but it’s not that difficult once you get the hang of it. Remember, practice makes perfect. As you go along with your essay, don't hesitate to ask for our assistance.
Writing service for college students
As mentioned, writing an argumentative essay takes careful time, effort, and skill. It does not only focus on the content, but the manner of conveying the message and the research itself. It is a difficult task, one that may not be possible for some students. Luckily, there are writing services like CustomEssayMeister, dedicated to helping students like you. Out talented pool of writers will be able to help you craft a convincing argumentative essay. Moreover, we can also write custom essays, research papers, and even thesis papers. Should you be interested, do not hesitate to contact our Support Team.